Feb 20, 2017
Hi and welcome to Who Cares? What's the point?
Season 1 is in the bag - and here’s the run down of
the shows I have broadcast so far:
- Dr Matt Williams, New Zealand - What influence could climate
change have on human aggression?
- A/Prof Claire Vallotton, USA - Father's parenting stress and
toddler language development
- Prof Frank McAndrew, USA - The psychology of creepiness
- Dr Michael Philipp, NZ - Emoticons and emoji make your face
- A/Prof Brian Sharpless, USA - What do we know about sleep
- Laurie Parma, UK - Mapping the link between biodiversity and
- Prof Sam Wineburg, USA - How to tell the difference between
fact and fiction on a 'post-truth' internet
- Dr Eva Neely, NZ - What do we know about how food is used to
foster social relationships for young women at school?
- Dr Bertel Teilfeldt Hansen, Denmark - Does turning to clocks
back for winter-time lead to higher rates of depression?
- Dr Toby Mundel, NZ - Is there a link between dehydration and
our experience of pain?
You can check the show out at at Libsyn
out any episodes you might not have listened to yet.
It's also on all major platforms, including Stitcher
So far, so good - we made it up to #3 in the NZ iTunes Social
Sciences chart - I'm hoping to get to #1 and developing a worldwide
profile to help my mission to promote communication of the art and
science of psychology to a wider audience #scicomm
What am I asking for?
Running the show takes time and money. I have monthly hosting
costs to pay for, for hosting the podcast files and for the
website domain. It takes time and money to get the equipment
together, to line up the interviewees, to record the interview, and
also a fair amount of time invested in learning how to produce the
show, and actually doing that production after getting the
right software and tools.
To get Season 2 going, I need to start to get some of these
sunk costs back, and perhaps even get a bit of an advance on future
hosting costs. I'd also think a separate whocareswhatsthepoint.com
website will help immensely too. Please help if you can
I am already scouting for Season 2, which I’d like
to launch on February 21 - another Season of 10 shows, and
then another Season - #3 - to be broadcast in May / June /
If we get beyond the $2000, I’d like to publish books
compiling all the interviews for each of the Seasons. These
will take the the best of what our guests have to offer,
making them available as e-books, and if the PledgeMe funds
allow, actual REAL books - I know they’re getting popular again
(who’d have thought that would happen)? Extra funds would help to
meet editing and publishing costs to get this project going. I'll
add stretch goals for the publishing project if we get
All it costs to help is the cost of a cup of coffee. Come and
see at tinyurl.com/wcwtp
Thanks for reading and listening - do rate us on iTunes if you
can. It really helps others find the show. Contact me via twitter
@sarb, and follow the show @wcwtp